Sunday, January 11, 2009

Beautiful Day @ Trinity


Today was a beautiful day, the sun was shining and the snow was firm but not frozen like it was yesterday, and for the first time we could get to the foot bridge without punching through post holing. Now that the temps have gotten warmer the ice dams are melting somewhat revealing the creek a little more everyday. The dogs love it too, they can go anywhere they want which means they can hunt without having to snowplow to get to the smells and have fun playing in the snow without getting wet. Bear found something he liked in the snow by the foot bridge digging as deep as half of his body as you can see in the photo of him, Lillie likes to belly slide on the snow, Peace was out hunting somewhere else. I was able to drag around Trinity and even started getting things ready for the sled dog races that will be happening in the next few weeks, it's called the Cascade Quest. With all of the snow we have had I haven't been able to keep it knocked down and with the rains the snow is like Big pillows of snow, not very even and so it will take some work to get it ready for the dog teams. I hadn't been out there very long and the temp was hovering around 32 so that it was firm but still soft enough for the drag to cut the snow down some without being so hard it does nothing. That only lasted about 45 minutes and then it warmed up and got very soft so that I went from barely making a mark to cutting a 10" trough, so I decided it would be better to stop before I messed up what I had done already. The rest of the day we kept an eye out for any sledder's that might make it out this far but so I could find out what the road south of here was like, probably not passable due to slides and possible downed trees. There is always tomorrow and with the warming trend expected this week I'll only be able to drag early in the mornings and only if it drops below 30 at night. We'll just have to see what happens and hope they groom this week all the way out here then for sure friends can come in to visit without difficulty. All in all today was a beautiful day and the dogs had a blast gettting to go places thaty haven't been able to for a while. The marten has been around here causing Peace to go a little nuts, once she winds something she wants to find it no matter how far away it is or where it has gone. I believe Peace would be great at an extreme obsticle course the way
she, Bear & Lillie travel through the woods, they are all bushwackers, I don't think she would find a closed course very challenging, especially since she uses downed trees as bridges and highways through the woods, deer trails, the creek and river to get around in the brush, and she just loves to run, not bad for a Lab/Rott/St.Bernard mix but she has the heart and soul of the wolves I've had, she just stays closer to home. Well that will be someting else to write about another day. The snow and rain is gone but the winds are picking up getting stronger keeping the wind chimes singing their songs which I love to hear, but it also knocks the snow down compacting it even more.
We found our Paradise, hope you find your's too. Peace
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

NicG., LMP, Owner said...

Hey Gregg love your post, My dogs love the snow and I am getting that my Dog Angus a Rott/Sheppard Chow mix would really like to pull a sled. Any ideas where I might find one to rent up there?
Thanks for any ideas.
Nicole

Gregg said...

Nicole, I don't know right off hand but I do know several mushers and I will check with them to see. They will be having the Cascade Quest Sled Dog Race either the end of the month or first of Feb depending on the snow conditions. I'll see what I can find out, something you might want to check out. Peace