Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Are You Kidding Me !!!

I normally keep a pretty close eye on several different forecast to get a good idea of what the weather is supposed to do, but then I also watch what is going on around here at the same time. The forecaster's missed this by a mile, it was supposed to be in the mid 20's last night, instead it stayed above 40 all night with crazy winds some over 30 mph. It has made the snow very slick and glazed, from firm to soft and we are now below 4' on the gauge. The road here was groomed last night and if it had gotten as cold as forecast would have set it up nice, since it is so warm I don't even want to go out walking around much due to severe risk of post holing which is something I prefer to avoid, evenn the dogs are having difficulty with keeping their footing and sliding around, it is funny though. In just over a month we have gone from lows of -9 to now highs of 49, making it very hard on the water supply for summer. Like I've said the macro-climate here at Trinity is so very different from anything you will find in this area, Fish lake is at 36 with 1mph winds and Steven's Pass it's 32, yet it feels like I went to sleep and woke up and it's late April the snow is dirty with debris fom the trees, the snow is melting due to the strong winds and if you are walking in this snow wear snowshoes or sink, the advantage is I can go just about anywhere on my snowmobile and not have to worry about getting stuck in bottomless POW. If this keeps up we will not have any snowpack by the time April gets here which reminds me of the first winter I was here, I hope we don't have a repeat. This continues to be a crazy winter and everything that normally takes 5-6 months to happen here has now happened in one month.
We found our Paradise, hope you find yours too. Peace

No comments: