Monday, February 04, 2008

Cascade Quest 2008 Idatarod Qualifier





This past weekend was the running of the Cascade Quest Sled Dog Race, where most of the activity centered around the Lake Wentachee Rec Club where the race started and finished. There is the 10-16 dog race which is a 200 mile continuous race where each leg is 50 miles with rest periods in between. This year there were 2 teams that made it to Trinity this year but originally there were to be 4 teams. This year the weather really didn't cooperate in that it snowed everyday but Monday with almost 70" during the week making it very difficult to keep the area where they would be opened up and packed with lots of last minute repairs and changes. We had Lois Solmonson our cook for the weekend, Tom & Emma Porter who have been to Trinity each year for support staff but next year Emma wants to be a participant and has been training for the last few years., then Ty Johnson the vet here to check the dogs but he is also Peace & Bear's vet which makes it nice because he makes house calls. It couldn't happen without the volunteers , they keep things moving smoothly. The first team arrived at Trinity around 7am with the 2nd team coming in just a little after 8am, they took care of their dogs then got something to eat and some rest before leaving around 12:30pm and 2pm. Here are a couple of photos of those teams and volunteers.
It did snow all day making the course slower in places but and had some people concerned about how much snow we could get for the day especially after getting 17" on Thur and another 10" Friday.
We found our Paradise, hope you find yours too.

1 comment:

J.D. Scorpio said...

Hello Gregg:
I was just tip-toeing through your blog and let me tell you, I’ve seen a lot of blogs, but few as nice as yours. I love the pictures, makes me wish I could visit in person. I do believe you found your paradise…! I really enjoyed my visit…….. Please feel free to visit my blog.
I wish you and yours well………..JD