Thursday, February 07, 2008

446" and Still Snowing Hard


This year for the first time I started keeping very accurate measurements of the snowfall we have received at Trinity this year beside just the stationary gauge we have, and have been blown away by the amount of snow that has fallen at Trinity. As of this morning we have had 446.75" which is over 36' of very dry fluffy powder but on the gauge it shows just over 10' because it is constantly settling yet in some places it is still very soft and deep, which is why I got stuck yesterday while knocking down the trails around Trinity. This year has been the hardest to keep up with of all of the snows I've experienced here so far, we get such large amounts of snow at a time that just to get on top of it has been difficult and I've had to dig out more times than I would have liked. It's been great for skiers because of all of the POWder days but for getting around it has been very difficult to get ahead of and stay ahead of. This winter we have only had maybe a week of temps over 32 and the snow is so dry that when it hits the water it becomes a slushy creek which effects the dam and powerplant making life more difficult but not unmanagable, just more wood on the fires.
Getting all of this snow in the amounts we are getting makes life interesting and gives me time to catch up on some reading and resting up because when I do go out I know it will be a busy time for me, clearing the trails around here and keeping the plant running between the dumps. By this time last year most of the big snows were over completely and we just got a few inches to maintain our amount of snow but nothing to really add to the depth, I believe records are being broken everywhere this year especially the fact that most of this snow hasn't had much moisture in it so it will be interesting to see what happens during the melt out.
We've found our Paradise, hope you find your's too.

1 comment:

J.D. Scorpio said...

Hello Paradise:
I can’t believe that you are not bombarded with comments; all your pictures are GREAT..!! I really like your slide show too. All the dogs look like they love the snow. The only pictures that didn’t come through were the 3 on your last post. But all the rest are great..! What is, “A Paw Above”…?
It does look like you have found your, “PARADISE”..!
And remember that you are welcome to visit my blog, although I’ve been a little lazy, you can stop by anytime. And please leave a comment so I will know you’ve been here………. JD