Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Exploring with Ivan on Snowmobiles

This winter I've been taking it easy letting my knee heal after surgery in August, all I've done as far as riding has been the tracked ATV just to keep the snow packed down and making it easier to get around. After the snow settling down and becoming hard packed and I do mean hard, I've been walking with the dogs and checking out places to ride that usually aren't accessable this early in the year, checking out ski runs and places to snowmobile that no one ever rides through the trees.
Today my friend Ivan came out to ride with me and just have some fun in the snow before he heads to Jackson Hole and then on a cruise. We rode down to the horse camp and Phelps Creek campground riding through the trees getting off the trails and making our own way and exploring some new ski runs that need to be named. We found many places on both sides of the river to ride and play lots of mid sized jumps and getting to ride along the river was a great feeling. The dogs had a great time chasing us and hunting anything that moved or the scents left by the martens and other critters we all got some good exercise. The morning started rather cold 14 degrees and Ivan got here at around 9:15 after a chilly 30 minutes ride out here, we had some coffee and caught up some but we had to get out in the snow and all. We headed out to the campground to look at some ski areas that need to be skied and enjoyed, we just need about12" of POW th really make it nice riding.


The places we went in the summer aren't accessable because of all of the mountain alder everywhere but now the snow is just deep enough to hold it down and the snow is hard enough it won't pop up and hit you, and we had 3-4 X's as much area as in other previous years to ride and the nice thing is you can't get stuck, it's a great feeling, and allows you to be more daring, it was wonderful and so much fun. With the 20 degree temp swings everyday into the teens at night and up to mid 30's to 40 during the day also cause some of the biggest snow feathers I've ever seen and each day the become larger, when you walk across them you hardly leave tracks across it. Today was a wonderful with a great friend & adopted family member and even though I will feel it tomorrow it was worth every little ache or pain, it was a big part of the healing process, being outdoors surrounded by the natural beauty all around is very magical.

We found our Paradise, hope you find your's too. Peace
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any info on the mattracks you installed on your polaris ranger ? Do you think they are worth the money , are you happy with the performance ? Would you recommend them or just stick with the snowmobile ? I am debating weather to purchase for my 2003 polaris. Thanks Jason

Gregg said...

Jason, The tracks are good but the Ranger is geared all wrong to really use them like I do here. My friend has the smaller Mattracks litefoot on a Can Am 800 and it works great with them. Email me at trinity5.peace@yahoo.com and I'll be glad to tell you what I know I have the Mattracks M-3's the larger wider tracks on the Ranger you can only run in Low takes 4-5 hours just to get to my truck from here with the can am about 45 min. Peace