Sunday, June 29, 2008

Freemont Fair & Soltice Parade

Last weekend we went to Marysville to stay with Bob & Peggy just to visit and go to the "1" event I really enjoy going to on the westside, that is the Freemont Fair & Soltice Parade to welcome Summer. It is the one day where anyting goes in Freemont (the Center of the Known Universe), at noon there is a parade welcoming Summer and the unofficial start of the parade this year were around 350 nude & bodypainted bicycle riders which is a very fun part of the parade. There were dancers, clowns, belly dancers, a group giving hugs to anyone that wanted it, bands on trailers and marching bands, each with their own theme, many colors and just a great celebration. At the fair there were booths with anything you can imagine, everything you wanted to know about eating and living healthy, a nudist group looking for new members, lots of great music, several beer gardens and people having a good time. When we got to Bob & Peggy's I called a few friends and made plans to meet them at Freemont as you can see from the photos we got together. The top 2 photos are of Misha & July a couple of friends I met early on in Seattle.
The 2 bottom photos are of new friends I just met that day they are Fari & Mark (Wickeddread) with Culture Yard.
After the parade I & Peace, Bear & Lillie walked around checking out the music and booths but was really looking for my friend Erik an artist who was the first person I met in Seattle when I moved here from Texas I hadn't been here 24 hours at that time and we've continued to have a reat friendship since and he had told me that he was taking some of his artwork and just setting up on the street but when we couldn't find him I called him and he told me where he was and we made arrangements to meet on 35th & 1st ave street sign. He said he was a friends house and it was the only house in the area surrounded by businesses and warehouses in the area with music blasting in the yard and jerk chicken on the grill we were introduced to Pappy, Mark, Kevin & Fari and treated to great hospitality. they have Culture Yard, great reggae music production and anything reggae related. Jah is good as he provided a wonderful place to hang out and take a break from walking around the fair and wonderful music, it was an answer to prayer as on the way there Bob & I talked about wanting to have a place to go hang, which we had had for a couple of years before but it was still a good 8 block walk to get there, this was right in the middle of everything so it was much better than I thought it would be.


Mark was the cook for the day and kept the jerk chicken and roasted corn coming and throughout the day we were constantly meeting new people as they came and went and then the main group started arriving around 7-8pm. This was the place to be for sure, the wonderful sweet fragrance of food , herb was wonderful and it was like being on the island, can't wait until next year. This is the way the world should be everyday with Love & Peace as the main ingredients and everyone getting along, so I take it with me everywhere I go it makes life Great. Much Love & Respect to Mark, Fari, & Pappy for welcoming us.
We've found our Paradise, hope you find your's too. Namaste'

No comments: